Prep Time: 30 minutes Baking Time: 20 minutes Makes: 12
INGREDIENTS: 190g plain flour 100g butter 160g caster sugar 1/2 tsp baking powder 1/2 tsp baking soda 2 tbsp sunflower oil 1 egg 1 tsp vanilla bean paste 1/2 tbsp lemon juice 30g dark chocolate (melted) 60ml single cream 60ml whole milk 1/2 tsp red food colouring liquid 1/2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
CREAM CHEESE ICING: 50g butter 400g cream cheese 200g icing sugar 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- Preheat your oven to 180c.
- In a bowl beat together the butter, sugar and vanilla bean paste until it becomes light and fluffy.
- Add the egg and melted chocolate and beat until fully mixed together.
- In a separate bowl mix the milk, cream and oil, then add into your butter mixture.
- Add in all the dry ingredients like: flour, baking powder and cocoa then mix it well.
- Add the red food colouring and beat until it’s mixed thoroughly.
- In a separate small bowl add your lemon juice to baking soda and mix thoroughly. Add this into your cake batter and fold in gently till its all combined.
- Scoop your cake batter into cupcake cases to 2/3 full.
- Bake for 17-21 minutes at 180c.
HOW TO MAKE YOUR CREAM CHEESE ICING
- Whisk the butter until light and fluffy and white in colour.
- Add in your icing sugar and vanilla bean paste stir through then with an electric whisk, whisk until fully incorporated.
- Add in the cream cheese and whisk together until combined (do not over mix).
- Add your icing to a piping bag or use a spoon to spread your icing on top of your cooled cupcakes.
Now you can enjoy your very own delicious red velvet cupcakes!!