Prep time: 20 minutes, Cook time: 2-3 hours, Serves: 8
- 8 Cups Neapolitan ice cream (slightly softened)
- 3 Free-range egg whites
- 6oz Caster sugar
- 8 Inch ready made circle sponge cake
- 2 Tbsp cherry jam
- Line a 3 qt bowl with cling film, scoop your ice cream into the bowl ensuring to mix up the ice cream colours and press down to remove any spaces.
- For the meringue with an electric whisker mix the egg whites in a large bowl until soft peaks form. Slowly whisk in the sugar, whisk well between each addition. Continue to whisk until glossy and very stiff peaks form when the whisk is removed.
- To assemble the Alaska, spread the cherry jam on top of your ready made sponge cake. Place the cake on top of your ice cream. Remove the plastic wrap and invert the cake onto a baking sheet.
- Cover the ice cream with the meringue using the back of the spoon to make a swirl pattern ensuring there are no gaps between the meringue and ice cream and place it uncovered into the freezer for at least 2 hours.
- Finally when your guests are ready for dessert take it out the freezer, preheat your oven to 200C and you can place your Alaska on the middle shelf for 8-10 minutes until its golden brown all over.