You are currently viewing £500 Grant Available For Pregnant Women

£500 Grant Available For Pregnant Women

Pregnant women can claim a one-off £500 grant called ‘Sure Start Maternity Grant’ it is for help towards the cost of having a baby. It can go towards decorating the child’s nursey or buying nappies and wipes or even a pushchair and car seat. The grant will not need to be paid back and it will not affect any other benefits or tax credits you receive.

Who Can Get A Sure Start Maternity Grant?

You’re expecting your first child, or you’re expecting a multiple birth (such as twins) and have children already.
You or your partner already get certain benefits.

Can You Claim For Your Second And Third Child?

You may not get a grant if you already have children. You can only get a grant if at least one of the following applies:

  • You’re expecting a multiple birth (such as twins)
  • The child you’re caring for is someone else’s such as a family member who is having their first child and lives with you. That family member must be either under 16 years old or 16-19 years old and in ‘approved’ education or training.
  • You’ve been granted refugee status or humanitarian protection and you have a child or children from before you arrived in the UK.
  • You may also be able to get a grant if you’re adopting or become a surrogate parent.

When Can You Apply For The Grant?

You must claim for the grant within 11 weeks of the baby’s due date or within 6 months after the baby is born.

How Will The Grant Be Paid?

The grant will be paid straight into your bank account, building society or credit union account.

How Do I Know If I’m Eligible For The Grant?

You must have no other children under 16. You or your partner must be getting one of these benefits:

  • Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Pension Credit
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Working Tax Credit that includes a disability or severe disability element
  • Universal Credit
  • You may also get the grant if you’re getting a Support for Mortgage Interest Loan

How To Claim The Sure Start Grant?

You can apply for the grant on the government’s website or you can download the claim form.
You will need to ask your doctor or midwife to fill in page 10 of the form.

If you live in Scotland you cannot get a Sure Start Maternity Grant. You can apply for a Pregnancy and Baby Payment instead.